Saturday, November 8, 2008

kohls crash

It's true. I don't know how the rumor spread so fast, but yes... I did crash and burn—big time—inside Kohls Department Store yesterday. I am opting out of posting pictures of the injuries because photos of little bruises will not do justice to the pain and embarrassment I truly suffered.

It was a Friday afternoon, and I was bored. It was a little too chilly for a walk with Anna outside, so I came up with a great alternative. Shopping! I would get out of the house, and Anna would get her afternoon walk too. So I loaded Anna up in her car seat and headed down the road to Kohls.

As we walked into the store I became extremely excited about the prospect of new clothes. I was holding Anna's car seat in both hands. (Despite the "mommy muscles" that are supposed to develop, I still have a REALLY hard time lifting the Anna/car seat combination.) As I started heading towards the women's shoes section, I think I became a little too focused and excited about new shoes, and forgot all about how to walk in them. In a split second, I was face down on the floor of the aisle with a sore ankle, a bruised and throbbing knee, and poor Anna skittering across the floor in her car seat (luckily it was still right side up, and luckily we had the five-point harness secure!)

I quickly pushed myself up off the floor and glanced in every direction to see how many people had witnessed (or heard) my amazing disaster. (Look left, look right.) No one made eye contact... but I knew it was impossible that the noise of the skittering car seat, Anna's screams, or my face smacking the floor hadn't peaked the curiousity of shoppers in the vicinity. I just figured it must have looked so bad that people didn't want me to feel any worse by letting me know they witnessed the whole thing.

I picked up the car seat, turned around, and headed straight out the door. I was beyond humilated, and Anna wasn't too happy either. That was enough "shopping" for one day. We went home.

11 comments:

Lori said...

Jen- i am glad you survived your crash and burn.

ouch! and i am glad Anna was okay.

trent said...

Assistance in Isle 5...
...Midget down...
...make that 2 Midgets down!

I am so glad that your injuries are minimal! It sounds like it could have been tragic for both of you.

I do stupid things like this all the time. If you added a baby in a carseat to the mix who knows what kinds of accidents I would have.

Glad you are okay.

Jaime Dubois said...

So...it is not often that I am reading somebody's blog and find myself laughing out loud. I would have left and gone home too. I only laugh because there have been so many of those experiences for me that I can totally relate...like the time my sandal broke in the middle of the grocery store near the milk aisle...down I went and then had to clop around the store to find my way out without a shoe. But, seriously, glad that you are okay and that Anna survived too. Thanks for the laugh!

travdean said...

I am glad we can joke and laugh about it now. It really does provide good subject matter for teasing :)

gina bina said...

Ouch! I'm so sorry! I can't help but smile though.

Kristina Werner said...

Oh my word, Jen! That's awful! I can totally relate... Except mine was in a crowded student building in front of the bookstore... on the first day of classes... my freshman year. Um, yeah... We're not gonna talk about that one. ;)

AmyPoll said...

My worst car seat blunder was when Devon was a baby and I was carrying him in is carseat, a package of Huggies and myself down our concrete apartment steps which are covered, but somehow had some ice on them and we went sliding down the entire flight of stairs...I was hurting so bad after it becuase I tried to pull his carseat on top of me so he wouldn't go flying...unfortunately for me, I must have made quite the commotion because I had about 4 or 5 apartments worth of people come out to see what all the racket was. Or here is another one to make you feel better...two years ago, on Easter, we were all over having Easter dinner with our neighbors who didn't have family around. We were swinging on their "rigged" up tire swing in the back. I decided to go with Julianna and after about a minute of swinging, I remember hearing this really loud popping sound and down went the swing. I ended up breaking 3 ribs on that one, but managed to once again save Jules from the fall by pulling her on top of me. Did I manage to give you a good laugh and make you feel any better??? Although I would have loved to be there to witness your lovely blunder.

AmyPoll said...

Oh yeah and I thought I would mention that we found out that it wasn't my fat butt that caused the swing to break, but that all the swinging had worn through the chain...at least that made me feel a tiny bit better.

The Cushing Family said...

Oh Jen! I could just hear your voice while I was reading that story. Only something like that would happen to you. I love how you tell stories. It is like you can envision the whole thing in your head. Hope you BOTH are okay.

April and Jared Fenn said...

oh that's horrible. If you'd like the RS to bring you meals, we'd be happy to. :)

Mandi said...

I honestly cannot stop laughing! I am wiping the tears as I type! Great story....thanks for sharing! Oh...I do feel bad of course! :) I totally experienced something like that while holding Gracie in her car seat when she was a baby. I fell down cement front porch stairs, gouging my entire shin taking the skin all the way off the front of my leg! It's pretty sad when you are crying from the pain and laughing from the humility all at the same time!