Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"...and fell down and worshipped him..."

I was lucky enough to catch one of my favorite moments from Christmas in a photographic "play-by-play".

It is a tradition in my family for my dad to read the story of Christ's birth from the Bible while we, the kids, act it out. Now that we ("the kids") are older, it is the grandkids' turn to do the honors. My dad began by reading the familiar verses.


Everything was going smoothly until a small, unsuspecting shepherd entered the scene and noticed that his blanket and pillow were being used to cushion the uncomfortable manger.

"What? Where are the gold, frankincense and myrrh? Those are supposed to be the gifts! This isn't the gift I brought for the baby Jesus! Give it back!"






















Panic engulfs the small shepherd as Mary and Joseph look around and wonder what to do with the self-destructing flock herder.






















"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him." —Matthew 2:11






















Drew gave us a new and literal meaning to the story of Christmas this year. :)

However, my mom moved in, and the show went on despite the missing shepherd. (I am still trying to figure out how Mary ended up wearing a doo rag.)

Ahhh. I love traditions! :)

4 comments:

Mary Elizabeth said...

Those pictures are priceless! What wonderful Christmas memories. Happy New Years!

Brianna said...

That was hilarious! Leave it to kids to keep life spicy. Also, I'm sure that Jesus would never want to take a shepherds favorite blankie.

Jaime Dubois said...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it and for giving me a good laugh. :) Glad that you had a great Christmas!

travdean said...

That was one of my favorite moments this Christmas as well.