Monday, October 19, 2009

the smell of grapes and fire in the fall

You'll never guess what I actually did this week... I did some CANNING!!!!! Yes. It is true. I went last Saturday to pick grapes at Aunt Jolene and Ralphie's house. They were delicious concord grapes, and I got about two grocery sacks full. I borrowed a steam juicer and was able to get 11 quarts of juice concentrate! Only Mom will understand the satisfaction that comes from hearing the tiny "pop" as each one self-seals. Ahhhh.

Anna tried dusting the stove today while I was steaming grapes and caught the duster on fire. No one was injured, and no property was damaged (besides the duster). Phew! She is now not allowed to dust in the kitchen anymore.

4 comments:

Paula said...

You know, I really hate to see any child's desire to clean squelched. Maybe we could find a fire-proof duster . . .

travdean said...

Good work Niff. I love that Anna is always trying to help out it is cute. I kind of wish I could have been present to see your reaction as the duster began smoking.

Michelle said...

Nice work, Betty Crocker, or June Cleaver or Mormon Mom! I want to be a canner!

Jen said...

I am laughing so hard (and I shouldn't be) picturing Anna dusting and fire flaring....holy crow!